Monday, March 2, 2015

week of fasting



Sunday was March 1st (first of all, I just barely reconciled the fact that it was february. I can't keep up with life right now). Second of all, that means fast sunday for the Mormon church. 
24 hours no food no water, zip, nada. 
But it's more than just starvation, it's actually a way to learn self-mastery. 
I look at it like this: we have this bodily appetite, right? We need food. (and esp. water b/c I basically drink crater lake every day) 
When we go without those things, we're overcoming our "natural man" to gain spiritual strength. 
In that state of physical weakness, we remember how much we need the bread of life, our Savior Jesus Christ, even more than physical food. 
I'm personally more in tune with the Spirit on Fast Sundays and I experience a greater access to God's help. 
As was said in a lesson at church, "fasting is a purifying process." 
And then the goal is to seek to retain that spirit of fasting even after fast sunday. 
So this week I was like -- "challenge accepted".
Commence: Operation Social Media Fast 

I know, I know technically blogging is social media...but I'll be posting on the daily here about my testimony and tender mercies throughout the week!
(but seriously zero insta, fb, or snapchat)



^^^Deleted. Not a trace.  

Day Número Uno: 

Scripture of the Day: 3 Nephi 17:10 
"And they did all, both they who had been healed and they who were whole, bow down at his feet, and did worship him; and as many as could come for the multitude did kiss his feet, insomuch that they did bathe his feet with their tears." 
It didn't matter whether they were whole or healed, broken or complete, depressed or joyful they all bowed down and worshipped him tearfully.  This became one of my favorite scriptures last year when I realized that I had been waiting until I was whole to come unto Christ, when all along I was getting worse. 
I know from personal experience that when we feel unworthy to pray or inadequate to come before God or feel like our situation is hopeless, THAT is the time to come unto Christ. 
If we wait until we're whole or better or improved or happier, then we'll never get there. 
He asks us to fall at his feet, and as we bathe his feet with our tears, he will heal us. 

Tender mercies:
Okay let's be honest, Mondays are so rough. Especially after staying up ridiculously late all weekend because, college. 
But a definite tender mercy was what my Bishop said yesterday:
"Just get up.
Do what you need to do.
Everything will work out."

And it did. 

I loved the rain which just made the whole day fresh.
I got to dance my heart out to a lyrical jazz routine to Celine Dion (that lady is my idol).



My BoM class was incredible as per usual. Brother Ball is a phenomenal professor and always knows exactly what I need to hear :) 
I was blessed with motivation to get a lot of homework done this afternoon and evening despite being realllyyy tired. 
I decided to meet up with Allie at the Cougareat for dinner (sometimes you just need Chick-fil-A after days of the CANC) 
So we're eating and laughing and start to walk back and...this happened.



Wear your hoodie's, kids. #poorAllie


The night finished off with some Latin American art history, Bio reading, cookie dough ice cream (total hypocrite with that self-mastery talk...tomorrow is a new day haha), scripture study, and blogging. 

Not gonna lie, there were about 57 times when I unlocked my phone only to remember that insta wasn't there but REALITY CHECK SISTER. You don't need instagram. Life is happening. 


I'm already sold on this social media fast thing. It is fantastic. 

Until tomorrow, invisible audience. 
^jokes just realized it's 1am. snap





No comments:

Post a Comment