Monday, March 9, 2015

the district


While The Bachelor finale is going wild on social media tonight, I'm seizing the chance to rave about my favorite tv series: The District.

It's not a documentary or show exactly - it's real life segments of the lives of missionaries; non-scripted and unrehearsed.  It's part of our "missionary homework" before we head out in the field, but I'm telling you -- it just became my favorite homework. 
Seriously, this weekend I watched every episode. 
I would put my laptop on the counter next to the sink while I straightened my hair and basically procrastinated all the other stuff I had to do :)



After watching it, I felt so inspired and uplifted by these 8 missionaries. They teach from the heart and I felt like their joys and sorrows were mine, as cheesy as that sounds.  Some of them have gone through some really tough things -- the Elder on the bottom in the white shirt has cancer and the Sister on the top left lost a brother while she was on her mission.  
Even with trials, they are so strong in their faith and their love for the people they teach.  
It made me SO excited to get out there and follow their examples.  
Elder Moreno, (top left) said at one point: "I don't know why I'm so happy. I'm tired all the time and yet I am so happy." 
That's my vision for my life in 3 months. 
I want to lose myself in the work and find happiness through other people, not myself. 

There is no doubt in my mind that The District is inspired.  I felt the Spirit witness to me that what they're doing is true.

It's all true. 





No comments:

Post a Comment