Saturday, March 7, 2015

far from perfect


My Senior year Lit. teacher had a sign on her door that said: 
"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." 
I swear that has never been more true than here at BYU. You would think that everyone here has an awesome life; or at least they're intelligent, accomplished, talented, and faithful in the Church, right?
While that may be true, I've discovered that some of these people have been through, or are going through, some really hard family and/or personal struggles. 
I've met people with divorced parents, people who struggle in their testimony, people who feel remorse over past mistakes, people who have lost a parent, people that are the only member of the Church in their family, people who struggle with severe depression, eating disorders, people who have been diagnosed with cancer, and people who lack a support system at home. 

I guess that paints a pretty sad picture of this place, but don't get me wrong. Those are just the tough things I've encountered from the inspiring individuals I've met. 

But it has been a wake-up call for me that I need to be kind to everyone I meet. 
I have no idea what they're going through or what they've gone through; whether it's being diagnosed with thyroid cancer or just a really rough day. 
It has taught me to be less judgmental, a better listener, more patient, and has helped me get through my own struggles knowing that no one has a perfect life. 

I'm also so grateful for the perfect example I have to emulate: Jesus Christ. 
"For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee." 3 Nephi 22:10
My Savior is telling me that no matter what, in every circumstance, with everyone, and through everything, His kindness will not depart. 
He will always love, care, listen to, and protect me. 

So I should be doing the same for others. 

People say that kindness can change the world; and maybe at times the only person we change is ourselves, but to Heavenly Father that is changing the world. 









No comments:

Post a Comment