Sunday, February 8, 2015

I'M GOING TO PERÚ


Crying // NO WAY // holy cow // AHHH I'M SO EXCITED 

The story: 

I have always wanted to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Always. 
I don't know, even from when I was really young I had a strong desire to be a missionary; I visualized it and knew that it would be a reality someday. It has never felt anything but right.
(Disclaimer: This is definitely just my personal story, I know that many people don't necessarily receive an answer about serving a mission that strongly or early in life.)
As members of our church, we get this really cool blessing called a patriarchal blessing. I received mine when I was 12 (pretty early compared to the average), and I fell in love with the section that talked about my mission and the people I would teach. From then on, it was a countdown to the day when I would receive my call...




January 20th: 120 days before my 19th birthday, my papers were IN. The waiting and guessing game began...


January 30th: It had only been 10 days, so I was COMPLETELY not expecting my call to be there until next week. I woke up, went to jazz class and headed up to the testing center to take a Biology test. While I was trudging up the mile-long Smith Fieldhouse stairs, I noticed a missed call on my phone from an 801 number. I immediately stopped in my tracks. There was no way. No way. Literally it was impossible that it had come. So I called back expecting it to be a call from the front desk about a package or the bookstore about a textbook order or something. 
"Hello, this is the Helaman Halls front desk."
"Hi, I just barely missed a call from you guys." 
"What's your name?"
"Christine Parks."
At this point I'm thinking "oh my gosh. oh my gosh. maybe it really is here."
"We were just calling to let you know that your mission call arrived this morning."
"WHAT. ARE YOU SERIOUS. HOLY COW. REALLY??"
"Yes, you can come pick it up anytime."
At this point, my eyes were bulging out of my brain and I was panicking like someone in the middle of a stroke. The girl nearby on the stairs was like "hey are you okay?"
"yeah I'm fine, I just got my mission call." (hand on my chest, buckled over, trying to comprehend what just happened). 
"Oh congratulations that's awesome!" 
I couldn't stop smiling/freaking out. I immediately called my mom, my dad, my grandma, my best friend from home, my roommate, my other girlfriend, my other friend from home, my best guy friend, and just freaked out more and more announcing the news every single time. 
There was literally NO chance I was taking that Biology test, so I turned around to pick up my life's destiny....
(okay that's a slight exaggeration)
But at least THE MOST IMPORTANT MAIL I HAVE EVER RECEIVED EVER. 





11:15am. It was IN MY HANDS. Focusing in class the rest of the day was basically impossible. 
Somehow I whipped out a 90% on my Biology test. Miracles do happen. 

I had to wait until ELEVEN pm that night to open it because my family was busy and there was a volleyball game, etc. I spent a solid hour of the afternoon watching mission call openings on YouTube and getting SO pumped. I got ready, watched my sweet friend Rachel open her call to PARAGUAY, went to the volleyball game and couldn't even focus on the smokin' hot players (which is saying something), went back, had a dance party in the Mezz with girlfriends, went back to my room, prayed, read my patriarchal blessing, and all of a sudden it was 10:50pm and my life was about to change...
I went to the lobby with all my friends and set up Skype on 4 devices for my family, grandma, and 2 friends from home.  Everything was ready, everyone was there, and the clock struck 11... 

(The video footage wouldn't load but it's on Facebook) 



What was going through my head:

Crying. I feel so blessed to be living the moment I've dreamed of. I'm going to be a missionary. 
Whatever is written on this call, is from The Lord and it's where I'm meant to be.



"Dear Sister Parks: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the PERÚ PIURA MISSION."



NO. WAY. 



Seriously no way. Completely shocked. (I pretty much knew I was going to Latin America but Perú hadn't even crossed my mind!)



AHHH I'M SO EXCITED. 



Seeing my family's reaction was priceless. My little sister screamed so loudly that they couldn't hear a word I said after Perú :)



And there I was. Knowing where I'd be for the next eighteen months of my life. It felt so unreal but so special at the same time. 



I have the best friends! 




I hung out with my boys and a few girlfriends until like 2:30am talking and laughing so I didn't even have time for it to sink in until the next day when I was like I AM GOING TO BE LIVING IN THIS COUNTRY AND SERVING THESE PEOPLE AND BECOMING A NEW PERSON IN PIURA PERÚ IN 120 DAYS. 



For the past week I've had so much fun researching and reading blogs and getting prepared :) 




And when I'm not thinking all things Perú I have sleepovers with my favorite ladies.  Allie and I moved our mattresses into Alexis' room and it was a serious pow-wow. 




Blueberry and banana pancakes! 



(Reese's chocolate peanut butter spread may or may not have been included) 



Also how did the three amigos not figure out this Skype group chat thing until now?? So fun and so great to catch up with my people! 



Girls Nights again! (I promise I talk to boys...they're just never in the pictures haha) 




New obsession: The Chocolate. white chocolate pazookie was heaven in our mouths. 




and then....DISCO SKATING. 




Greatest night and so many laughs. 




Also: Provo has been 65 degrees this entire week. 
it's FEBRUARY. I don't understand. 

But I'll take it. 
Nowadays when I'm not studying or dancing or galavanting in 65 degree weather I find myself reminiscing on the past 18 years, and how my whole life is about to change in the best way possible. 

I'M GOING TO PERÚ. 
All-caps basically describes my life right now.
 113 days until I embark on the best journey ever. 

"O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."
D&C 4:2





No comments:

Post a Comment