Sunday, January 25, 2015

spiritual battlefields



So right now in my Book of Mormon studies I'm in the book of Alma.  
Can I just say how much I love the book of Alma? It teaches about the Atonement of Jesus Christ, faith, trials and just makes complete sense to my mind and my heart every time I read it.  

Anyways, right now I'm in the war chapters. 
Long story short: it's a lot of battles, strategy, deceit, dead people, some good guys, and a lot of fighting. I used to think it was a real drag, until I understood WHY exactly Moroni included it in his abridgment. 

The war chapters are a type for spiritual battles today. 
In other words, it's a symbol, representation, prefiguration of what we go through today. 

With that, last night Chapter 49 hit me hard. I swear that chapter could be titled "To Christine Parks" 

Here's what I wrote about it:

"The war chapters in Alma came at a perfect time in my life.  In no other time have I needed to understand and defend against the adversary more than right now, as I'm preparing for a mission.  I'm a threat to the adversary's plan. Not only am I living the gospel but I'm about to go share it with the world; basically majorly thwarting Satan's agenda. 

But good thing Chapter 49 came along, because it perfectly lays out my counter-attack. 

The Lamanites were advancing. 
And because they had destroyed the city before, "they supposed that it would again become an easy prey for them." 

Hold up.

The adversary has won the victory over me before. 
There have been times when he made me feel bitterness, self-doubt, hopelessness, inadequacy. 
He's advancing again. He's won before, so easy prey right? 

"But behold, how great was their disappointment, for behold, the Nephites had dug up a ridge of earth round about them, which was SO HIGH that the Lamanites could not come upon them." 

Hold up. 

The adversary is going to be seriously disappointed pretty soon here; actually maddeningly frustrated when he can't influence me. He'll be livid that I've built my ridge SO HIGH that he cannot possibly overtake it. 

I will be "prepared in a manner which never had been known." 
My preparation will be just like the Nephites; stone walls, ridges of earth, towers, and bows & arrows. 

The formula: 

feasting on the scriptures + earnest prayer + service + the temple + church attendance + preparing to serve my mission 

And then..."Thus [Christine] had all power over [her] enemies." 

Happily Ever After? Not quite. 
Alma 50:1 "And Moroni did not stop making preparations for war" 

It doesn't stop when I go on a mission. It doesn't stop when I get back. He will always be there. But HE -- Jesus Christ -- will always be there too. And the higher I build my ridge, the further the distance between the adversary and I, and the closer the distance between my Savior and I. 

I am so grateful for Heavenly Father's perfect plan that gives me the agency to create my own life. The bad news: in this earthly life we have to battle sorrow, pain, and trials.
The good news: He gives us those experiences because He believes we can grow. He's provided a Redeemer of the world as our merciful intercessor. And following his plan brings more joy & fulfillment than we can imagine. 


Of these things I know to be true."





No comments:

Post a Comment