Sunday, May 10, 2015

Freshman year: top 10


You guys, it's over. The year everyone talks about; the one filled with late nights, slacking off in academics, new friends, new city, & new life. 
I'm now one of those old people who can say: "When I was a college freshman..." (Except I really don't have any crazy stories so don't ask me what's the worst thing I did, haha.) 

For lack of a better phrase, it was seriously the best year of my life. In some ways it was different than I imagined, but it still exceeded my expectations by a long shot (and I've been dreaming up my byu experience since basically the womb!) 

I just LOVED it. (Except Econ 110, we can talk about that later). And since I couldn't cover everything about my experience, here's my top 10 in all its overgrammed glory: 


  #10: Hiking Timpanogos 


This is how we get high BYU-style. 
But seriously, DO IT. Maybe not the day before school starts (I have never been more sore in my entire life) but it was so worth it. Definitely my favorite peak I've ever done. 


#9: SLC trips  



The lights at temple square in December are a must-see!



Also City Creek shopping ^^^


No car? Never fear. The Frontrunner tracks are actually super convenient & fun as long as you're with friends. 


And even if you're not a dancer, anything performed by Ballet West at Capitol Theatre is ahhhmazing. 

                    

And if you wanna get really wild, general conference is always a good time :)



#8: BYU Ballet Showcase Company 

It was a huge time commitment, but still the BEST experience because of these 10 girls and the opportunity to dance on a BYU stage! 





Also a plug for some other great performances on campus: EviDance (always in September), Cougarettes, CDT, Utah Regional Ballet (Covey Center) and Theatre Ballet! 

And for my dancer friends just wanting to take an AWESOME class:
Dance 331: Jazz Technique 2. I think it was honestly my favorite class of the year. I don't know if Brittany is teaching after this year, but if she still is, take it from her! 



#7: Girls Nights Out

Some favorites: Swig drinks, 


Dorm movie nights


The shops at Riverwoods
Brunch at Waffle Luv


Mockingjay premier


Card game tournaments ft. Zach


MEN'S VOLLEYBALL GAMES. The players are so dang attractive, I die


Pancakes on the griddle


Pazookies from The Chocolate. seriously best dessert I've ever had


Disco skating


And end of the year photoshoot!


LOVE MY GIRLS. 



#6 Provo eats:


Café Rio: the Utah rite of passage 


Waffle Luv: soooo good. Overpriced, but good. 


Se Llama Perú: they have some seriously delicious cultural places downtown. Peruvian food did not disappoint! 


La Dolce Vita italian


Tucano's: GRILLED PINEAPPLE. 'nuff said. 


A CLOSE-UP OF THE CHOCOLATE PAZOOKIE. Do it, just do it. 


Jamba Juice: after all the above treats, you're gonna need a green smoothie cleanse. 


Their tomato basil soup is really good, just take precautions so that your roommate doesn't spill it all over herself :) 


India Palace: garlic naan bread and any of their curries!


Zeke's pie shack: Mark this on your calendar for the next Pi day (in 100 years)!


Healthiest dorm award ^^^


In helaman halls you don't have a kitchen but sometimes you reeeeally need a break from the Cannon.


GRAHAM CANYON IS LIFE. 


And fun fact about the Cannon: you can fill a to-go box whenever you want, so picnics are nice to change things up!



#5: Temple trips


At the beginning of the year I made the goal to go once a week. I stayed strong until about November when things got crazy, but I still went as often as possible. For me, it was so important to make the tempe a priority in college. There are so many fun distractions, but I needed those walks up the mountain to clear my mind & receive much-needed revelation. 


And going with friends makes it all the more special ^^^


Plus it's just so gosh darn beautiful! 






Also, a favorite running route. 


And a great picnic spot at the missionary fields! 



#4: SPORTS


Football, basketball, volleyball, there is ALWAYS a game every weekend and they are so much fun!! There is nothing like being in the student section screaming your lungs off, plus our teams are phenomenal.










#3: Mission call!


I don't think any other day of college compares to the adrenaline I felt opening that letter.


It was amazing to be surrounded by so many friends, 5 of which have their calls too! 


As amazing as BYU is, I'm SO thrilled to serve in Perú for 18 months!!





#2: Utah seasons
It didn't take long before I fell in love with Utah. Campus is literally right next to the mountains so I had an amazing view every single day walking to class. Here's a taste of the changing colors & temperatures -->

Fall:













Winter:








Spring: 










Oregon still slays Utah in the greenery category, but they're both stunning in their own way!



#1: Roommate lyfe



Ultimately, my year was the best because of the girl I got to spend it with. 
Let me give you a taste of life in room 2212:


We made google docs for literally everything. Boy analysis, mid-life crises, inside jokes, documenting major life events (i.e. first kisses), etc. We learned that we're both super analytical and organized so we got along perfectly! 

We had this thing where you're not allowed to touch the floor in transition between our desks and our beds. Hahaha don't ask. 

We interrupted each other all the time with random facts & outbursts, and still do :)

We decided to say prayers together each night, so we made up a prayer schedule based on meat preference (Allie was a vegetarian in high school and we once had a 3.5 hour debate about vegetarianism) 
There was Meat Monday, Tofu Tuesday, Walrus Wednesday, Tofurkey Thursday, Falcon Friday, Seitan Saturday, and then rock paper scissors tournament on Sundays. Hey, the system worked, ha!


We both fell in love with: Forever Sunshine Bath & Body Works spray, cleaning the room, carrots, netflix, sharing a spoon, & matching on Sundays!



When we brush our teeth she likes to stay at the sink and I like to walk around the room, you could say we were made for each other ;) 


Poor George. 


And then there was that time we got caught in a snow storm :) Never a dull moment with this girl!

Oh and we can't forget the quote of the year:
Allie: "I'm not friends with you for the view." 

Hahaha love ya Al! 





So there it is. Freshman year at my dream school is over, but I can't wait to come back after 18 months in Perú!

See ya in 2017, BYU!






No comments:

Post a Comment