Tuesday, May 19, 2015

What I wish I'd known freshman year


Ok so I'm writing this because I feel like it would've been really helpful to my pre-college self, so maaaaybe someone else (like my bro and other young un's prepping for byu) can benefit too. Also it's kind of a way for me to document the "real life" part of college so that my kids don't think I just hiked mountains and ate café rio and stayed up way too late :) (refer to freshman year top 10).

Ultimately, everyone has their own individual experience at BYU, this is just my take! So here goes. 
What I Wish I'd Known Freshman Year:

Academically:

1) Take class registration seriously. 
BYU is huge, guys. Massive. There are hundreds and hundreds of classes and you're on your own with registration. The days of counselors at your hip and copying what everyone else is doing are over. My suggestion is to start the process early. As young as a sophomore in high school you can plan what AP classes you'd like to take and how it lines up with BYU credit. Even if you aren't that organized, when you go to register for freshman year, look at what GE requirements you've completed and which ones you still need. This doesn't mean that you can't take Writing 150 if you already fulfilled that req. by getting a high score on the AP Comp test (totally take it if you're interested in writing), but the research helps to make sure you aren't taking a class that you don't really need. (And it just takes time to look through everything, but so worth it!) 
It was also easy for me to look at my GE's and want to knock em' all out at once. However, one of the most important things I learned freshman year is that you shouldn't rush college. In high school I was all about that checklist life, taking the classes I needed as fast as possible. College is way different. It's a journey. You learn how to learn, even in classes that you don't think apply to your future. It is honestly a blessing to be at BYU for a longer time period. I can't stress what an amazing place it is. (but of course there comes a point when it's time to move on). Ultimately, that balance is an individual decision.

2) Take a variety of classes and seeeeriously don't over-schedule yourself. I loved having a diverse set of classes my freshman year (dance and various GE's ranging from physical science to latin american humanities) but, I took 18 credits my first semester which was really super duper hard. Not recommended. My second semester I took 14 credits which was much better, maybe a tad on the easy side. Also: always take a fun class! Something you genuinely look forward to every day. For me, it was my ballet and jazz classes.


 3) As you're registering, look at ratemyprofessors.com. This site will save. your. life. The best feedback I received about professors was word-of-mouth and online from students and alumni. Your professor can make or break your experience and it was super helpful to read about the professors beforehand. Ratemyprofessors also has comments on study strategies for different professors and the importance or unimportance of attendance, reading the book, etc.

4) My advice to open majors: Take a career class! This was really helpful for me. I didn't walk away knowing exactly what I want to do, but the class basically forced me to do the research, seek out the experiences, and have the thought process necessary to decide on what's right for me. I have a way better idea of what I want to do and I'll continue to use the same career research tools in coming semesters (advisement centers, job shadowing, major maps, and graduation plans)

5) Tips for being successful: Treat school like your job.
I had a friend at the beginning of the year who decided he was going to treat school like a full-time job by having 9am classes and staying on campus until 6pm. (I mean technically we lived on campus but you get the picture). So even if his classes ended at 1:00 or whatever, he would go to the library and study until at least 6. I kind of sort of tried to follow this but usually I would go home at some point to change for ballet or shower...which would usually lead to a social media break which turned into an hour which turned into blogging or a nap or other time wasters :) Bottom line is: the people who I saw succeed weren't necessarily genius, they just treated school like a job and the extra time paid off.

6) Read the textbook. 
I walked into Physical Science 100 my first semester way overconfident. I thought it was going to be boring and easy.  I should've gotten a clue when I took the challenge exam the first day of school (to try to get out of taking it entirely) and got like 40%...yikes. 
Somehow I still thought I'd breeze through the class, so I didn't open the textbook for the first half of the class.
Bad idea. 
I got a C+ on the first test.
 I quickly caught on to this really no-brainer tip and managed to get an A- in the class, but I walked away humbled for sure. 
Second semester, I forced myself to read everything assigned, before class, and it was a billion times better.

7) Next tip that's basically nothing new: take. notes.
Like really take notes. Find what works for you best whether that's laptop or notebook. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there have been like a hundred studies on how writing things down is key to success.
I am in love with the OneNote application for Macs. Super easy way to organize and basically a life saver for my OCD self. I'm currently using it for my pre-mission to do list and packing lists too.

6) Test prep: probably my greatest discovery was flashcards. billions of them. like seriously I made so many it's a joke. But here's why I love them:
- You can use them for every single class. Basically any test material can be converted into flashcard form; definitions of terms, main points of concepts, humanities art identification, equations, sample problems, etc. 
- The act of writing down the information again on a notecard helps so much even though you might not realize it. There were times when I was making a batch of 200 cards and I would be completely overwhelmed by all the information I was about to memorize, but when I tested myself and went through the cards, I actually remembered a ton just because I wrote it all down again.
- You can start a set with your first test and keep accumulating more until the final. This totally saved my bacon during finals week.
Also: take advantage of study groups, class google docs, and your professors! All of my professors were super approachable and willing to help. (Also downright brilliant and intimidating:)

7) Last little plug: scholarships! Most people apply for them as high-school seniors but then they forget that they're available all through college too! It's just a matter of researching and applying anywhere and everywhere you can.


Phew! That was a lot. Next up: dorm life and miscellaneous BYU things.



Dorm life:

1) Live wherever ya want. I lived at Helaman Halls and I'll tell you why I like it, but I had friends at Heritage who loved it, so I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. 
Advantages of Helaman:
- The social scene is fantastic and super involved. I mean, you share a bathroom with 30 other girls, does it get more social than that? ;)
- The Cannon Center is like eating out with friends for every meal. I could go to the Cannon at any hour and 100% guarantee there would be someone I knew to sit with (at least after a few weeks).
- My ward was so awesome. Loved it.
- There are constantly fun activities going on at helaman; dances, frisbee on the grass, game nights, etc. The residence hall association does a great job at creating fun social opportunities.
- Having a meal plan is easy and convenient. You can also use your card for any creamery which includes school supplies, shampoo, etc. I would recommend the Dining Dollars Blue meal plan because you have a set amount at the beginning and all my friends had a ton of extra by the end. I had a slightly cheaper plan, Dining Plus but it was a 12$ a day thing so it wasn't the easiest if I wanted to go buy groceries because I might only have a little extra plus the 12$ that day. And then worst of all, I think, is Open Door 7. You can basically only eat at the cannon and then you have some dining dollars for snacks and occasional meals elsewhere. It's just kinda inconvenient when you're on campus somewhere near the Wilk but you have to walk all the way down to the Cannon to eat, especially if you have to come back on campus. (Plus, the Cannon does get old).
So yeah, go for the slightly more expensive meal plan, it'll be worth it in the end.

2) Talk to people. Definitely don't stress if you aren't making friends right off the bat, but make the effort to talk to everyone on your floor and the people in your ward, or else you'll never have the chance to be friends :) one regret I have is not reaching out to girls on my floor more often. Once I got talking with a couple of them, I realized that we could have been really good friends, I just never made the effort to eat with them, talk in the hallway, etc.

3) Go to the sports games. Seriously. It was my favorite thing to do with friends and always a blast. The ROC pass gets you in to every single game, all year long. Totally worth it. 
(Another social plug: Get your freshman ARTS card, which is free and has select performances you can go see for only 2 bucks)

Miscellaneous BYU tips:

1) I think people don't realize how much free stuff there is at BYU.
- The gym. Literally as long as you're a student, you can go to the Smith Fieldhouse or the RB to workout anytime. This was fun to do with friends too.
- Counseling. It doesn't have to be depression or a disorder, it can be stress or social problems, basically anything. The counselors are some of the best qualified and it's f-r-e-e. (also good to remember for friends who might be struggling)
- Cool study spots. the library is great and all, but the roof of the JFSB is legit. Tables and everything up there. 
- Devotionals. We have the coolest speakers come to BYU. For heaven's sake, Mitt Romney came and gave a forum last semester. They're uplifting and awesome. 
- Classes like skiing and scuba diving. I think scuba has a fee but who doesn't want to go skiing once a week and get credit for it? (It didn't work with my schedule or I would've:)

2) A tip from your average overgrammer over here: take lots of pictures. I think I took a jillion but I can guarantee that when I'm an old cute grandma I'll love looking back and showing my grandkids what my BYU days were like!

3) And lastly, you live in Utah so expect the unexpected. I once wore sandals because it was sunny when I woke up and then had to spend the rest of my day soaked to the bone & freezing because.. snow in April. It gets crazy but it's beautiful so we keep coming back :)

4) Go to the temple. This is one of my favorite memories of freshman year, even the times when I would make the trek up the hill alone. It gave me valuable "me" time to remember what's most important and it was also a fun bonding experience with friends.
I would suggest setting a goal (once a month, once a week, whatever it may be) and then stick with it. There was always an excuse not to go, but when I did, it made all the difference.
(Also, if you're going on a weekday evening, plan on being there for at least 2 hours, I've been there for 3-4 hours before. The best times I found were early afternoon like 12 or 1. Mornings are good too but can still be super crowded.) Funny story: I went with my friends on Halloween because we didn't have other plans and we were literally the only people there. It was awesome, haha.



Phew! That was long. If you're still here, you must be my best friend or my mom or something because that schpeel was more lengthy than I planned, haha.

Moral of the story: BYU is awesome. You're going to love it. My freshman year wasn't perfect, but I learned a ton and I am so so grateful for my experience! Here's to coming back in 2017 one of those old, wise upper classmen :)




No comments:

Post a Comment