Friday, April 6, 2018

Jesus Christ, Mission of


When I hear the word "mission" this is what I think of: the sandy streets of Piura, Perú, teaching the gospel, eating rice, talking to people in the street, the joy of baptism, and receiving those tight embraces as I said goodbye almost a year and a half ago. This week as I thought about Christ's mission, the meaning of my own mission changed. On a much smaller scale, God called me to spend 18 short months dedicated to the same cause His Son was: to preach, to invite, to serve, to redeem. The difference, however, is great. Without my 18-month mission in Perú, the Church would have moved forward. Everyone's lives would have gone on and I would be still be me. 


But without Christ's mission, there would be no Church. There would be no life -- at least no life beyond the grave. He paid an incredible, incomprehensible price to offer himself a sinless sacrifice for man.
He finished his mission and because of that, he will help us finish ours.
"...let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

There are so many phrases in the scriptures that describe his mission:

come to save that which was lost
to do the will of him that sent me
satisfied the demands of justice
to fulfil all righteousness
publisheth peace
the author of eternal salvation
the mediator of the new testament
come to make intercession for all
suffereth himself to die for all men
to redeem his people
atone for their sins
 to fulfill the law
in me shall all mankind have life
to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man

Of all these, one that just became my new favorite scripture is this: 
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised." Luke 4:18


I felt these words strongly a couple weeks ago as I sat in the Garden of Gethsemane:
[the following is taken from a synopsis paper I wrote for my New Testament class] 
As I sat on a marble bench looking at the aged olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane, I felt the Holy Ghost confirm to me the reality of Christ’s suffering and his intimate knowledge of my own struggles. Studying the gospel accounts of Gethsemane side by side and noticing the subtleties and details of each account enhanced my understanding of what happened there and the perfect, sinless example Christ set before me. 


In Luke 22:39 we read that “…he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives”. The footnote describes that “wont” means “accustomed”. The account in John expounds further in chapter 18 verse 2 that: “…Jesus oftentimes resorted thither with his disciples”. This detail, only found in Luke and John, invited me to ponder what the mount of Olives would have meant to Christ even before that night. It was probably a place he had frequented to find peace from the crowded city of Jerusalem and to communicate with his Father. In this context, it makes sense why he would go there as he was about to undertake the greatest pain and suffering of his life. I imagine it was a location dear to his heart. 


As he entered the garden, Christ pleaded with his disciples: “…tarry ye here, and watch with me” (Matthew 26:38). In the footnote, I learned that “watch” meant to “stay awake”. Christ was asking his disciples to be present and accompany him during the most difficult moment of his life about to take place. This is different from the Mark and Luke accounts which state: “Sit ye here, while I shall pray” (Mark 14:32) and “Pray that ye enter not into temptation” (Luke 22:40). I love the image that Matthew paints of Christ asking his disciples to “watch with me”. I wonder if he was already feeling the onset of grief that would lead him to feel “exceedingly sorrowful unto death” (Mark 14:34) and sought the companionship of his closest friends to help him endure such bitter pain. Oh, how I would have longed to be at his side if I had been there, unable to take away his suffering but eager, at least, to grieve with him and offer a particle of comfort. 


In all three synoptic gospels, Christ falls to the ground as he begins to perform the Atonement. “And he went a little further, and fell on his face…” (Matthew 26:39). “And he went forward and he fell on the ground” (Mark 14:35). “And he was withdrawn from them…and kneeled down and prayed" (Luke 22:41). Some of the olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane, though ancient, are astounding and grand. A solemn and powerful image entered my mind of the Creator of the world falling before the very creations he had made because of the weight of the burden placed upon him.







Another common thread that touched my heart was the opening of Christ’s prayer in each account. “O my Father…” (Matthew 26:39). “Abba, Father…” (Mark 14:36). “Father…” (Luke 22:42). This detail invites me to consider the closeness of their relationship as Father and Son and the true meaning of my daily recitation of “Dear Heavenly Father…” A father listens, a father cares, a father grieves with their son when they are hurt, a father lifts and strengthens. Christ was going to his father just as a small child would run to their daddy in a moment of need. I hope that I can remember that imagery as I pray; my Heavenly Father is so eager to listen to and succor me. He is close by.

Additionally, I loved elements in the book of Luke that the other gospels do not include. “And being in agony he prayed more earnestly…” (Luke 22:44). Christ chose to pray harder even when his mental and physical pain must have been overwhelming. Although no one could take away his suffering, I love that a compassionate God sent “an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him” (Luke 22:43). I do not know if that angel was seen or unseen but I take it as evidence that God will never abandon me during trials. 

He cannot abandon me. It is not in his nature to do so. Even when he lets me go through hard things, he will send angels by my side to strengthen me. 

As Christ is betrayed, he poses an interesting question to his disciples as they try to resist the mob as noted by Matthew: “Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?” (Matthew 26:53). He knew that God could do it. Christ knew that God (and he) had the power to send destruction upon his persecutors at any moment and save him from it all. Yet he stood with confidence and humility and allowed himself to be taken. That is true faith in God; knowing that he can heal me or make it all better but knowing that he won’t and choosing to still trust in Him. 


An interesting difference that I observed from John’s account was the reaction of the mob when they requested “Jesus of Nazareth” to be brought forward and he declared: “I am he” (John 18:5). “As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground” (John 18:6). Just moments before, their sins had brought Him to the ground and now His power was bringing them to their knees. And yet whatever they felt that caused them to fall did not change them or their intentions, because they still took, scourged and crucified him. This would not be the first time in the next hours that the fear of man would blind the Romans and Jews and lead them to shed innocent blood. 


I am grateful for the opportunity to experience the spirit of the Garden of Gethsemane as I pondered His atoning sacrifice. I know that what I felt that day and throughout this semester will be my rock during trying moments in my own “Gethsemane”.




No comments:

Post a Comment