Sunday, February 5, 2017

Midnight realizations

You know what I love? 
People. Conversations with people just make my day -- and often give me the answers I'm seeking. 
Example A: tonight. 11:52pm. It had been a crazy Sunday -- church, committee meeting, ward break-the-fast, singing at an old folks' home, new testament homework, facetiming, family history party, ward prayer, then popped some popcorn and finally I was in my sweats ready to crash. 
And then the Spirit reminded me... tomorrow's Monday... OH SNAP I DIDN'T WRITE MY MISSIONARIES!
So I hopped onto my laptop to shoot a couple suuuuper quick emails. One of my dear friends serving in Italy (Malta, actually) had asked me an inspired question and I began to answer it. Half an hour later, I felt like that email was a complete tender mercy. Technically I was giving this friend counsel for the huge transition he's about to make in a couple months, but it was like Heavenly Father was teaching me something...through my own words. Is that even possible? He works in mysterious ways... 
So here it is:

"Do I have a purpose in life? Good question… so being home is actually an incredible learning experience. Because you have to find your purpose again. I mean, on the mission it was easy. My purpose was: “Invite others to come unto Christ by walking around Piura, Peru in a skirt all day every day talking to every living soul I see.” Easy. Measurable. Clear. Done. 
Then you get home and suddenly free time becomes the worst because it’s this indecisive guilt-trip and you’re like WHAT THE HECK DO I DO??? 

Then you get through your first week and you start to get organized. You start with the small and simple things and learn how to translate those from mission life into real life. (i.e. sleep, exercise, prayer, scripture study, temple) You enjoy the flexibility of some things (like being able to actually exercise as long as you want and run as far as you want…ALONE.) and you hate the flexibility of some things (like scripture study because you’re confident you can keep up the 1-hour personal study and then your schedule's like…not happening.) 

After establishing the foundational habits, you start to feel like you got the hang of things. You start learning how to receive revelation for YOURSELF, you look back on the mission with so much gratitude, and start to like your new life. 

THEN THE CURVE BALLS COME.

Maybe you have days when you waste too much time on social media, or you realize you haven’t served anyone in way too long, or you’re distracted while you’re at the temple, or you flat-out get to bedtime and realize you haven’t read the Book of Mormon yet. And then you have a mental breakdown because school gets hard and you need a job and you need to figure out what to major in and who to marry. (jk on that last one) 

BUT THEN HEAVENLY FATHER SENDS YOU A REALITY CHECK.

Whether it’s through an impression during personal study, a talk someone gave in church, a conversation with a friend, or a professor’s comment….he gives you a reality check. He tells you that sorry, perfection isn’t achievable on your own. You can’t make unrealistic key indicators for yourself. And you need to stop comparing yourself. He kind of slaps you in the face and says "stop doubting" and helps you recognize the blessings, the growth, and all you’ve learned (from both the mistakes and from the successes). 
Then the spiritual experiences start rolling and the tender mercies increase by 450% (jk, they don’t increase at all, you just start recognizing them!!) And the journey becomes SO joyful — the ups, the downs, everything. I love post-mission life. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED the mission, but believe it or not, that was just a small taste of the blessings HF has in store for you. I feel like post-mission I’ve had an ever greater opportunity to rely on Him. In everything. I even find myself thanking HF for every trial and weakness I have. It’s so great. 
The best way I can put it is this: You get to create this new life with the best counselor, friend, and confidante by your side. 

Sorry, that was way too long. The point is: savor every moment you have left, but don’t get down, miracles never cease and life post-mission is awesome. 

AND HOLY CRAP WE ALMOST BEAT NUMBER ONE IN THE NATION GONZAGA IN BASKETBALL AND WE DESTROYED NO.2 UCLA IN MEN’S VOLLEYBALL IT WAS THE MOST INSANE EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE."












In all, life is beautiful. There are experiences on the mission that I couldn't have had anywhere else, but there are also experiences back home that I can't have anywhere else. God's plan is perfect.
(And side-note: can we all take a moment and enjoy how absolutely precious this picture is??? Love my brother!)


Happy Sunday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment